Sunday, December 30, 2012

Presents

I when I awoke Christmas morning, something was brought to my attention.  Amongst the unwrapping of gifts and the exchanging of smiles, I noticed a difference.  What used to be mountains of toys which made me ecstatic, was now new clothes which I appreciated to an almost identical degree.  Where this had been the case for years, I never gave it any thought.  The funniest thing about all of this is that I recall celebrating birthdays, and Christmas  of older cousins of mine and thinking, "Damn, I feel sorry for them.  Getting a bunch of clothes for Christmas, and here I am with all these kickass toys."  I remember receiving socks and thinking "what a shitty gift".  Yet, this year, it was one of the things I wanted most.

When does this happen?!  Was it such a gradual change that I didn't seem to notice, and in that case, could that possibly mean I've grown up? (FUCK NO!)  One might argue that merely our tastes and that which we consider as a "toy" might have matured and sophisticated enough and appears dull to a juvenile mind.  What used to be legos and, in my case, more legos (which are still awesome) has now become art supplies and a camera with a helmet mount.  Going along that same train of thought, you could argue that we still play, only our definition has changed.  Jungle Gyms and games of cops and robbers turned into climbing buildings and running from the police. (maybe a bad example)  You're free to use your own examples.




No comments:

Post a Comment