Friday, April 19, 2013

The Necessities

It's an awful thing to be plagued with the importance of others which prevents you from doing what you enjoy.  Can't wait until I have more free time.  For those interested in something a bit shorter, I submit a sample of "Flash Fiction".
Yours Truly,
The Teej

Approximately 350 words
The Necessities
I’ve come prepared, and I expect nothing less than perfection.  I’ve planned far too long for the likes of anything to go wrong.  I’m expecting guest at any moment, and everything is finally completed.  The shrimp has been thawing for two hours now, the cocktail centered within the layers.  There’s white wine in a customized cooler on top of the counter, red right next to it; you never know what people are in the mood for.  Glasses hang above, each fixated with a charm.  The roast will be ready to come out in 45 minutes allowing time for people to show and socialize.
            I made my famous spinach dip, it nearly killed me, but I couldn’t go without; not this night.  Pretzels and crips, neatly in open access to the rest of the dips; some people don’t like spinach, salsa and a French onion dip isn’t too much more trouble.  The decadent deserts are out for display, spent all day yesterday on them, but I won’t offer them up too soon.  Dinner, social time with coffee, then desert; we must be civilized on this matter and I’ve spared no expense.
            Music is always important; I made up a playlist for this exact occasion.  Six hours of preselected party time tunes, you know there’ll be dancing.  With my new speaker system, they won’t be able to contain themselves.  Let’s not forget about games too.  Scatigories has always been a house favourite.  You never know what will come out during a game of that.  I’ll probably bring that out during coffee.  Sure there are other games, but I know this one will work best.
            I got the house to a neat sheen, and my guests will tolerate nothing less.  A tidy party environment is a fun party environment.  Characters welcome, germs, I think not.
            They must be fashionably late tonight.  How classy but unnerving.  I’ve got everything prepared and have taken everything into account; I wish they’d just arrive now.  Let’s see, double check:
Food
Drinks
Music
Games
Cleanliness
            I wonder why no one has shown up yet…..Shit!  I forgot I don’t have any friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment