Thursday, May 29, 2014

Hello



Writers block may be the biggest of bitches.  In theory one simply requires the initiative  to buckle down and work through it.  Easier said than done or perhaps an over simplification of the writing process.  You tell me.  The latest of Silhouette, winding down the last few segments of the first series.  Lets hear what you thing, yeah?
As always,
Teej


Hello

“Hey, it’s me,” she started, sounding awfully unsure.
“Of course it’s you, who else would it be?”
“I wasn’t sure how to begin.  Are you supposed to say ‘hello’?”
“This is an unlisted number, it’s only going to be you,” he laughed.
“Sean hasn’t tried calling?”
“Don’t expect him to unless he’s left for alternatives.”
“What about the use of codenames?”
“And you think I’m the comical one.  Yeah, alright, so you’ll be my ‘Sweet Silhouette’—“
“We can forget about the title.”
“Ah, you’re no fun.”
“What about you?”
“I’m fine staying plain old ‘Em-Aych’.”
“Now who’s the party pooper?” she grumbled.
“Chh… Em-Aych to Silhouette, I read you loud and clear, over…chh,” he echoed into the mic.
“It’s more professional, right?”
“Chh…You forgot to say ‘over’, over…chh”
“Now you’re just making fun of me.  Pardon my enthusiasm.”
His hysterics filled her ear piece.
“I think it’s good I can contact you like this though.  And it comes in really clear.”
“Bit of a leash, but I can see how it’d come in handy.”
“Please,” she scoffed.
“Good to know it works.”
“How far is the signal?”
“Depends on where you are.”
“I just left the bookshop”
“About three miles, that’s nothing.  I’m at Elm and Sylvester it looks like.”
“What the hell are you doing way out there?”
“Investigation stuff; it’s nothing, yet, but I’ll let you know what I find.  Hold on, give me a second.”
Silvia walked a couple of blocks and took Shelter under a bus stop on Saffron Street.  ‘Come on over’ Karen left in a message.  The sun had nearly set making it too far to walk; it’d take less than twenty to get there.  A middle aged woman carrying groceries smiled as she approached.  The streets were fairly calm for now.
Em-Aych returned in her ear sounding out of breath, “Sorry about that.”
“I’m afraid to even ask.”
“Sil, do churches typically have hired muscle?”
“Hired muscle?!”
“Well they were too fucking big to be normal security guards.”
“What the fuck were you doing at a church?”  Silvia turned to notice the scowl on the woman’s face.
“Investigating; like I said.”
She continued to stare.
“Em-Aych, make note that we look like schizophrenics using these things.”  She pointed to the ear piece and mouthed an apology.
“Noted.  Have you heard of that sort of thing though?”
“You’re asking the wrong person there.”
“Who am I supposed to direct these questions to?”
“What’s with the church?”
“I dunno, but I put in an order on the blueprints and I intend to find out.  You in?”
Silvia sighed, “We’ll see.”
“You’ll turn around.”
“You sound so certain.”
“Call it a hunch.”
Though the fading sunlight, the headlights of the bus came into view.  Letting the woman board before her, Silvia took the first open seat.  The shuttle had a few occupants allowing her to take her place at the window and watched the city pass by.
“You busy tonight?”
“Just got on the bus to head to Karen’s.”
“Running is so much quicker.”
“Some of us attempt a normal lifestyle from time to time,” she giggled.
“Stuff normal.  You girls want to go out tonight then?  Don’t think I’ve met Karen.”
“She comes to the shop pretty often.  I think we’ll be staying in this time though.”
“It was worth a shot,” he laughed.  “I’ll get out of your ear though; got a bit of a line to run.”
“Right, be careful.”
“You know I won’t.”
“Yeah,” she smiled, “See you soon.”

“Over and out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment