Friday, March 28, 2014

Feels Like Home



Rolling them out as promised.  This one trails 'What's in a Name'.  As Silvia continues to cope with the loss of her friend, she finds a friend in her understanding employer as they begin to get to know each other better.
Keep reading, lemme know what you're thinking,
Teej

Feels Like Home

“Silvia?!  What are you doing here?  Are you okay?”
Steve, met with shock and concern, looked up to see the small, slumped, shadowy figure looming in the doorway.  Her coat dripped water, courtesy of the downpour that had persisted throughout the day.  Her hair, just as drenched, gave her chills; the sight was downright gloomy.
He rushed over and presented her a blanket he kept behind the counter, “I thought I told you to take the week off.  You met Rain, didn’t she—“  Grabbing her coat, he forced her to take shelter in the warm covering.
“To be honest Steve, I’d rather be at work than doing nothing at home.  That is, if you don’t mind.”
“Not at all,” he smiled.  “Don’t expect much of a rush.  Rainfall’s scared off any potential clientele, I reckon.  Please, sit down.  How, how are you doing?”
Plopping down, Steve kneeled at her side.
“I appreciate your kindness; both of you.”  There was a slight tremble that carried in her voice.  “It’s been difficult, but I’m, I’m tired of being sad.  I’ve just got to accept that she’s gone,” she sniffed.  “Jenna wouldn’t want me to be like this anyway.”
“That’s a great attitude to have.  I know how difficult it can be to lose a friend, but you’re far too young to know such a feeling.  I’m going to grab some tea, can I get you anything?”
“I already got some,” she patted a thermos tucked beneath her.  “Thanks.”
Steve disappeared down the hall, leaving her in the store for all but a moment.  She was overwhelmed by his generosity.  He paid her a full weeks wage so long as she’d only return once she felt ready.  Was it her professionalism on the first day or just the actions of a compassionate and bighearted business owner; notwithstanding, she couldn’t believe this gesture and how fortunate she’d been in this regard.
The cozy interiour of the shop was far more comfy then her shabby apartment, let alone the tantrum mother nature was throwing outside.  She found the feeling the place gave off to be oddly homey.
Steve emerged from the hall carrying a mug and a tray.
“Rain made these this morning, and me, I can’t think of anything better on a shit day then a fresh biscuit.”
Handing her one, Silvia indulged while he pulled up a chair.
“What’d you think?”
“Delicious.”
“And if she asks, I gave you a plateful,” he beamed, helping himself to a few.  “Not supposed to have these often.  Don’t let me hog them now.”
“If you insist,” she giggled.
“You listen to music Silvia?”
“As much as anyone I suppose.”
“Anything particular?”  Steve started rummaging through a nearby desk, reaching for a remote.
Silvia shrugged.
“They say music is the movement that guides us; well, I say it.”  He pressed a button bringing life to speakers vicariously placed around the shop.  “Where she may go by many names, I call her jazz.”  He closed his eyes and began tapping his foot.
“Do you play?”
This surprised Steve, “How’d you know?”
The rhythmic flow of the bass inspired the participation of a skillful trombone player, occasionally accompanied by the mind of practice trumpeter when he wasn’t preoccupied by soulful lyrics.  It was that saxophone that really pulled things together, tying the brotherhood of instruments with such beauty; it’d melt the hearts of angles.  The culture of New Orleans at his fingertips. 
“You have a certain glow about you; I’m not sure.  This isn’t you?”
“No, no.”
“It’s dancing music.”
“If only I could,” Steve chuckled.  “I could play all night, a good thing too; kept me off the dance floor.”
Silvia sat up, “It’s not that difficult, and if you already have the rhythm…”
“Take it from an old man; it takes more than rhythm to have the moves.”
She began to cheer up at this.  “I can show you how to—“
“If I had the body of a young female again, I could probably dance too,” he laughed.
“Someday you’ll let me.”
“Someday.  What else do you do Silvia?”
“I’m pretty new to the area so I’ve been getting used to the transition.”
“Oh, where’d you move from?”
“I dropped out of school actually and needed a change of scenery,” she tried to convince both of them.
“Dropped out?”
“I got sick of the education atmosphere.  I still read to stay sharp.”
Steve looked around the room and smirked.  The numerous titles stacked every which way reflected in his eyes.  “I like to start from one end and work my way around.”
“I certainly didn’t get enough time to browse through the collection.”
“You will.  Make no mistake about that.  Right now, it’s a bit ‘unorganized’.  I thought, and it’s entirely up to you, but your first project might be adding some order to this chaos.”
Silvia stood and paced around the shelves, marveling at the opportunity.  More books then she could ever imagine reading at a given time.  The thoughts of endless individuals collected to a sea of pages which swam from wall to wall.
“It’s really quite impressive.  You know, I’d be more than happy to get started on that.  Is there a pref—“
“Hold up!”  He stopped her.  “This is not a decision made by me.  You’re free to categorize it as you like.  More importantly,” he added, “this is not a thing to think about today.  I’m not having you work.”
“Now you’re just being ridiculous.  You paid me a week’s wage and I’m here.  Call it volunteering if you must.”
“You’re determined on this, aren’t you?”
She smiled and nodded while viewing the contents of an alluring stack.
“I suppose arguing with you on this matter will serve no use.  I’m going to check on a few things upstairs then, but I’ll be back down in a few to assist you in anything.”
“Is this somehow taking the form of a trade off?” she laughed.
“The least you can do is support my delusion of victory.  I’ll be back in a few.”

Climbing the spiral staircase, Silvia was left to toil over her kingdom of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment